John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Review
I tried the John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Visibly Deeper Colour Deepening Treatment last week, and absolutely loved, loved, loved it! For those of you who don’t know, I bleached my hair blonde last summer. Platinum blonde with Wella T18. It looked great and I loved it. It didn't look natural, (my eyebrows are brown), but it was a fun look.
Then in December of 2019, I went to a salon to get darker streaks in my hair. It was a fiasco. It took three trips to the salon to make my hair decent-looking. Then, over a period of 4-weeks, my hair turned light again. And not in a good way. This time, my hair had yellow and orange undertones. I used John Frieda’s color treatment to go darker, and the results are amazing!
In this article:
What I love about the John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Color Deepening Treatment
The Brilliant Brunette Visibly Deeper Colour Deepening Treatment gets two thumbs up from me. Seriously. Skip going to the salon to get darker hair, and use the John Frieda color treatment instead. Here are 10 reasons I love the John Frieda conditioning treatment to go from dark blonde to shining brunette.
- It works in one treatment. The proof is in the before and after pictures of the John Frieda go darker treatment (see below). This color treatment works! My hair is noticeably darker after using the Brilliant Brunette treatment.
- It’s super affordable. For less than $10 a bottle, the John Frieda darkening treatment is a steal. Seriously! I used half a bottle to turn my blonde hair light brown. So that’s less than $5. Way, way cheaper than going to a salon to get darker hair.
- It smells great. John Frieda makes great smelling products. Simple as that. I used the John Frieda Sheer Blonde lightening shampoo for years and had the same experience. John Frieda simply has a good smell to it.
- The color is amazing. I’m amazing at the color from the John Frieda go darker treatment. I expected my hair to be slightly fake looking after using the darkening shampoo. Not at all! The color is great. It looks rich and real, and has soft undertones. Not too dramatic at all. Absolutely perfect.
- It’s easy to use. You can’t mess up with this John Frieda color corrector. You get your hair wet, put on for 5 minutes, and rinse out. You can’t mess it up.
- It works in 5 minutes. I saw results after leaving the John Frieda Brilliant Brunette in my hair for 5 minutes. You can’t beat that!
- It softens hair. I didn’t expect my hair to be softer after using this treatment. Usually, color correcting treatments leave your hair dry and brittle. Not the John Frieda treatment! After using the color correcting shampoo, I could easily brush my hair without using a conditioner. Amazing!
- It removes yellow and orange undertones. I had brassiness in my hair color and some unattractive yellow and orange undertones. After using the John Frieda Brilliant Brunette treatment, all those undertones went away. Magic!
- No damage to hair. Unlike going to a salon to dye my hair, which seriously damaged it in December, the John Frieda treatment left my hair feeling stronger – not weaker. No damage at all. The go darker treatment acts as a conditioner, and is ammonia and peroxide-free.
- Easy to find at drugstores. You can buy the John Frieda Colour Deepening treatment anywhere. I bought mine online at Amazon. You can also find it at Target or drugstores like CVS.
How to turn blonde and light brown hair darker with John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Visibly Deeper Colour Deepening Treatment
It’s easy to follow the instructions for the John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Visibly Deeper Colour Deepening Treatment.
1) Wash hair with Brilliant Brunette Visibly Deeper Colour Deepening Shampoo. Note that the instructions for the deepening treatment suggest to wash hair first with the John Frieda shampoo.
I personally skipped this step. I didn’t own the John Frieda deepening shampoo. I also didn’t want to wash my hair first. Yes, that’s right. I didn’t wash my hair with ANY shampoo. I simply went straight to step two and got my hair wet.
2) Massage a generous amount of the John Frieda color treatment evenly through the lengths of wet hair.
I suggest you towel dry your hair before using the John Frieda color treatment. Usually, you need to use color treatments on DRY hair to make it work, so I was surprised to learn that the John Frieda color treatment called for WET hair. To ensure the treatment works, I’d recommend towel drying your hair before using the Visibly Deeper color deepening treatment.
3) Leave treatment on hair for 5 minutes.
I left the treatment on my hair for 5 minutes and saw results. For deeper color, you can leave on up to 10 minutes.
4) Rinse treatment out of hair.
This step is simple. No additional explanation needed.
I personally didn’t use a conditioner after using the treatment, and the instructions didn’t call for it. The color treatment works in place of a conditioner, so it hydrates your hair.
5) Repeat treatment as needed.
Use the color darkening treatment by John Frieda as needed. You will likely need to use it every week.
Before and after pictures of John Frieda Colour Deepening Treatment
Now here’s the part you all are waiting for…the before and after pictures! Your wish has been granted to see the results. See before and after pics of the John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Visibly Deeper Colour Deepening Treatment to go darker below.
Before pics – blonde, brassy hair with orange and yellow undertones
After pics – darker hair with rich hues of light brown
As you can see, the John Frieda treatment offers a surge of deeper, darker color in one use. I’m loving it!
John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Review
I give the John Frieda Brilliant Brunette treatment 10/10 stars. (Really!)
It's an amazing way to get darker hair. It's perfect for blondes too.
10 Reasons to Love the John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Color Treatment
Continue reading for the top 10 reasons I love this hair color product! Using the John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Color Treatment is seriously the best (and easiest!) way to go brunette without dying your hair or going to a fancy salon.
Here's why I love this treatment for going from blonde to brunette at home!
1. It’s quick!
No need to sit in a salon chair for 3 hours to go from blonde to brunette. The color treatment only takes 10-15 minutes.
2. It’s easy.
This stuff is dummy proof! Simply dampen hair slightly. Leave on for 10-15 minutes, and then rinse out.
3. It fades nicely.
No worries or concerns about your hair growing out and looking bad. The John Frieda color treatment fades in 2-3 weeks.
4. It’s a great color.
No worries about using a brunette/brown treatment and hating how it looks! The John Frieda color treatment looks natural and is pretty.
5. It smells great.
Because…who doesn’t love to smell like they just spent $300 at a salon?
6. You can control the color.
Want to go just a little bit darker? Leave John Frieda on your hair for 5 minutes. Want to go a lot darker? Leave it on for 15 minutes.
7. It lasts 2-3 weeks.
Perfect for girls (like me!) who want to switch up their hair color frequently and who get bored.
8. No damage.
Simple as that.
9. Two uses per bottle.
Because…who doesn’t love a hair product where you can stretch its use?
10. You can change your mind.
Hate the brunette look? It will wash out after 2-3 weeks. Want to dye your hair red instead, or go blonde? You can go ahead and do it after using John Frieda Brilliant Brunette, because it doesn’t damage your hair!
Where to Buy John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Color Treatment Online
You can buy the John Frieda Brilliant Brunette color treatment online from Amazon. Target and Walmart also sell it.
YouTube Video Reviews of John Frieda Color Brilliant Brunette Treatment
Check out before and after pictures of the John Frieda color treatment from these two YouTube videos by Very Easy Makeup. Detailed reviews included!
Subscribe to Very Easy Makeup here too (pretty please!).
The Best Hair Products for Brunettes
Want to know what my top and favorite hair products are for women? Check out this Pinterest page.
You may also love this shampoo and conditioner for brunettes (also by John Frieda).
And please follow the Very Easy Makeup Pinterest page!
Awesome Hair Products for Damaged Hair – Olaplex 7 Oil
If you have damaged hair, then you need to check out Olaplex 7 bonding oil. It's perfect for damaged hair and damaged ends. It's expensive, but it's definitely worth it.
I’m loving Olaplex 7 bonding oil to keep my hair moisturized and shiny!
More pictures of hair color transformations
Want to see more pictures of hair after using the John Frieda treatment? Check out my Instagram page at Instagram.com/veryeasymakeup for pictures loaded weekly.
I also have an article on Wella T18 versus Wella T27 with before and after pictures. I used to bleach my hair blonde, and swore by Wella products to go blonde.
Related Hair Articles by Very Easy Makeup
You may also like these related articles from Christina Marie of Very Easy Makeup.
- T18 Blonde to Brown Hair with John Frieda Brilliant Brunette – Before and After Pics
- The 5 Best Products for Frizzy Hair in Humidity
- I Used John Frieda Brilliant Brunette to Make My Hair Darker and Loved It!
- L’Oreal Elvive Total Repair 5 Conditioner – Review of an Amazing Product with 4 Awesome Benefits!
More Beauty, Fashion, and Makeup Articles by Very Easy Makeup
Did you like this article? Give it 5 stars below and share it with friends on Facebook!
Here are more articles by Very Easy Makeup that you may love.
- DIY Stitch Fix Outfits and Fall Outfit Ideas
- Halloween Costumes and Costume Ideas
- Blonde to Brunette for Fall – See Before and After Pics
- 5 Cute Fall Outfits for Plus Size Women
- White Engagement Photo Dresses and Engagement Photo Outfit Ideas for Fall
Connect with Very Easy Makeup to Stay In-the-Know
Follow Very Easy Makeup on Facebook to get notified of new beauty, makeup, and fashion posts!
Sign up for the Very Easy Makeup Newsletter.
(This post contains affiliate links. View the disclosure here.)